Staffordshire Under 18 Group
Trial 1 - Monday 13th March
Stoke On Trent
20 Mar 17
6-30 – 9PM
Players selected from Trial 1
Last Season’s U17/U18 Squad
New Squad members from last Season’s U16 squad who will play U17s from Sep 17.
Please bring a photo and the attached document
29 Mar 17
6 – 9-30pm
New U17 Squad
Any queries please get back to me by mail or call 07872390202
Trials are to be held for the 2017 squad. Players eligible will be
· In School terms current Y12 or current Y11
· In Club terms current U17 or current U16
The selected squad will stand for both U17 & U18 (Autumn 2017 Divisional Championship) without a further trial (Note - the squad size may be reduced)
There will be two trials:
· Trial 1 will be for players not currently playing in a Staffordshire Squad
· Trial 2 will be for players invited following Trial 1 plus eligible players from
current Staffordshire U18 and U16 squads
Note - Players eligible for Trial 2 from the current Staffordshire U18s and U16s squads will be invited directly via their current County Manager.
As this age bracket covers boys born over two years, competition for the 35 squad places will be significant. During previous seasons players have been selected for the U17/18 squad from both Trial 1 and Trial 2, therefore we believe the two-stage approach is correct. However, Coaches are asked to only nominate players for Trial 1 who:
· Play in Rugby matches of a good standard on a frequent basis
· Consistently perform as the best forward or back in matches of a good standard
· Have a strong understanding of the game and a good tactical awareness
· (In the case of Y11 / U16) have exceptional talent and an above average physicality for their age
In each of the last 5 seasons over 100 nominations were received for the 35 squad places available – leading to disappointment for many players. By nominating in line with the above criteria, coaches can avoid building up the hopes of players who face their toughest battle ever for County honours. Only send your very best players.
Owing to the numbers of players involved it is not practical to provide individual feedback for those who do not make it into the squad.
From our experiences in the last five seasons we must ask for further consideration to be made prior to nominating players:
- The U17 programme will include a minimum of 2 training sessions and 2 games. The U18 programme will include a minimum of 4 training sessions and 3 games – We respect the importance of studies in Y11-13, however in previous seasons we have had players who have been selected for the squad and then withdrawn due to this. We therefore ask that players are given a chance to consider if they will be able to commit to the above programmes.
- Our programme will be in line with the RFU YSS, and U18 games in particular may clash with school/college fixtures including those in midweek. The U18 games are divisional trials and represent a great opportunity for the players. However, if your school is not prepared to ‘release’ players, then please avoid potentially taking up squad places and do not nominate players.
· Trial 1 ~ Monday 16 Jan 2017 ~ 1900 until 2100 Burntwood RFC
· Trial 2 ~ Monday 27 Feb 2017 ~ 1900 until 2100 Burntwood RFC
Venue details, times etc. will be posted on The SRU Website.
Please note that a Photograph will be taken of each player to assist with identification. PLAYERS ARE ASKED TO BRING A PASSPORT PHOTO WITH THEIR NAME CLEARLY WRITTEN ON THE BACK OF THE PHOTO.
Only injuries or illness will be accepted as a reason for non-attendance.
When nominating players for Trial 1, use the template provided below:
Player email addresses and a phone number are requested so that contact can be established with all players attending trials – In the past trials have had to be postponed due to bad weather and there were difficulties in communication at short notice – an email address has been established for on-going communication. email@example.com
If you require any clarification, please send an email using the above address.
U17s/18s Team Manager07872390202
Staffs U18 48 v 33 NLD U18
Videos of the game can be seen via the following links:
a. Forwards – Jacob Brown, Sam Chatfield, Ben Chatfield, Farhaan Aurangzeb, Will Turner, Josef Steele, Patrick Lavelle, Josh Bailey, Ben Acton, Jordan Talbot,
Sam Bradbury, Kieran Reynolds, Peter McMahon, Torin Spellman, Macauley Green.
b. Backs – Ben Guest, Dan Thomas, Jamie Dutton, Will Farr, Alex Smith, Josh Hart, Luke Trevis, Luke Brough, Jack Bowers, Ollie Greensill.
It’s only a short time since Ben White, Sam Lewis (both Stoke) & Levi Davis (Burton)were playing for Staffordshire and their respective Staffordshire clubs. Due to commitments with Leicester Tigers the route for them was suddenly away from the Midlands path way. To have three Staffordshire players was a fantastic and proud moment. Can I personally thank all of you involved with Staffordshire Rugby.
Under 18 Group ContactsTeam Manager:Nick Dermott,
07872 390202 firstname.lastname@example.org
Under 18 Group Contacts
Jeremy Edwards - 07768 817956
Tom Williams - 07961 768647
Simon Jones - 07718 706576
Matt Jones - 07531 425781
Darren Mottershead - 07530 992006